The main focus of chiropractic care is spinal care. It’s a medical practice which helps treat problems associated with the musculoskeletal system. It is the support system of the human body, allowing movement and also offering protection to the organs in the body.
Chiropractic practice has its roots in ancient beliefs and traditions, which believes that any problem in the body is caused by subluxations in the spine.
It’s a hands on therapy which compromises of a series of manual adjustments and different therapies to bring relief from pain. The chiropractor would apply pressure to certain areas of the patient’s body. Tis pressure helps them adjust and correct any misalignment in the spine. The major aim of the chiropractor is to treat the root cause of the pain and not just the symptoms this is why people who for chiropractic care often notice a marked improvement in their condition.
The first time a person visits a chiropractor, the chiropractor would perform a physical examination. They would focus on the condition of the spine. Tests like X-rays are conducted to determine what mode of treatment should be adopted after a detailed and trough check, they would then devise a treatment plan which is customised to each individual.
Treatment could consider of all of the following or a few of these approaches:
- The chiropractor would use their hands or a device to apply a quick controlled force to the joint. After this the patient might hear a popping sound and an immediate relief from pain.
- Heat and cold therapy. They may either place a heated pad or an ice pack to the affected area, depending on what they deem to be more beneficial.
- Electrical stimulation
- Massage and other relaxation therapies
- Physical exercises to check the range of motion
- Chiropractors also counsel patients for improving their eating habits and living a healthier lifestyle. A well balanced diet and exercise plan can greatly improve the health and wellbeing of an individual.
Is chiropractic care really effective?
The chiropractors at Inglewood point out the following conditions for which chiropractic care is quite effective.
- It can effectively treat people suffering from neck pain. Almost all adults and teens as well have suffered from neck pain at some point. This could be attributed to posture and a sedentary lifestyle.
- It is also effective for curing lower back pain. The spinal manipulations brought about visible improvements in the pain.
- Though lesser known but it can also help women deal with reproductive and fertility issues.
- It can help improve sleep pattern
While there are supposed to be no major side effects of undergoing chiropractic care, there may be some mild side effects such as:
- Little increase in pain which normally resolves after a few treatments
- Mild discomfort
- Slight stiffness in the muscles
- Headache and a general feeling of being tired
However all these can be considered as a part of a care which can bring about a great deal of relief if administered properly.