Who is a dentist?
A dentist is a medical specialist in dentistry, someone who does dental surgery, does diagnosis on dental patients and gives prevention guidelines to patients about dental diseases and other medical conditions of the oral cavity. Dentists have a support team that helps them with oral cavity services.
Why is there a need to see a dentist?
Oral health has been long neglected, yet it is an important part of overall health. Paying regular visits to a dentist is important because oral health problems can be detected earlier enough when they are still treatable or when the treatment is still simple and affordable. Visiting a dentist on a regular basis reduces the risk of developing oral and dental problems. It is a good idea to visit a dentist because other body illnesses can be spotted through the mouth. You need to find a dentist in Hervey Bay when you have the following symptoms:
- When your teeth have become too sensitive to hot and cold drinks, especially in the morning.
- If your gums are puffy and bleed when brushed or floss.
- If you already have teeth fillings, implants, dentures or crowns
- When you feel like your smiling is not up to the standard, please go see a dentist.
- If you have a persistent bad smell coming from your mouth. This can be embarrassing because it makes it hard to want to be around people.
- When you have swellings or pains in your mouth, neck or face, then you should go see a dentist soon.
- If you have difficulties chewing and swallowing food, then you should visit a dentist.
- If your family has a tooth decay history of gum diseases, then you should see a dentist before it is too late.
- If you have diseases such as HIV and AIDS, diabetes, cardiovascular disease or eating disorders, then you should go see a dentist.
- If your mouth is often dry, or if smoke or consume other tobacco products makes your mouth feel dry, then you should see a medical doctor for consultation.
- If you are undergoing medical therapies like chemotherapy or hormone replacement therapy, then you should see a dentist also.
- If your jaw pops up sometimes when you first wake up or feel some pain when closing your mouth, there is a problem, go see a dentist.
- If you have spots or sores that take longer to go away, you need to see a dentist.
If you have other symptoms in your mouth or surroundings, don’t waste time, visit the dentist as early as possible, so that you can be advised accordingly.
How to become a dentist
You first need to attend a four-year undergraduate degree from a recognized university. After graduating and wish to further study in the dental department, you may be required to meet some medical, dental qualifications before being licensed by the relevant board.
Why you need to be a dentist
- Service to others, you will help people to maintain oral health, maintain quality and appearance.
- Balance your lifestyle; because dentistry is not too engaging, you will still have time for personal leisure.
- Empower patients; let them wear a wonderful smile that they are proud of.
- Involve yourself with scientific research to add to the knowledge base of the dental world.
- Become an ambassador and a champion in the fight against oral diseases.
- Detect diseases and become creative in assisting patients to get their big smiles again.
- Most dentists are self-employed practitioners who work around the globe.